Fair information practices


The Belchertown Housing Authority collects information about applicants and tenants for its housing program as required by law in order to determine eligibility, amount of rent, and correct apartment size.  The information collected is used to manage the housing programs, to protect the public financial interest and to verify the accuracy of the information submitted.  When permitted by law, it may be released to government agencies, other housing authorities, and to civil or criminal investigators and prosecutors.  Otherwise, the information will be kept confidential and only used by housing authority staff in the course of their duties.

The Fair Information Practices Act has established requirements governing the housing authority’s use and disclosure of the information it collects.  Applicants and tenants may give or withhold their permission when requested by the housing authority to provide information, however, failure to permit the housing authority to obtain the required information may result in delay, ineligibility for programs, or termination of tenancy or housing subsidy.   The provision of false or incomplete information is a criminal offense punishable by fines and/or imprisonment.  As an applicant or tenant, you have the following rights in regard to the information collected about you.

  1. No information may be used for any purpose than those described above without your consent.
  2. No information may be disclosed to any person other than those described above without your consent.  If we receive a legal order to release the information, we will notify you.
  3. You or your authorized representative has a right to inspect and copy any information collected about you.
  4. You may ask questions and receive answers from the housing authority about how we collect and use your information.
  5. You may object to the collection, maintenance, dissemination, use, accuracy, completeness or type of information we hold about you.  If you object, we will investigate your objection and will either correct the problem or make your objection part of the file.  If you are dissatisfied, you may appeal to the Executive Director who will notify you in writing of the decision and of your right to appeal to the Executive Office of Communities and Development.