OFFICE OF THE
BOARD OF SELECTMEN
One South Main Street
P.O. Box 670
Belchertown, MA 01007
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
2017/2018 BOARD OF SELECTMEN
Brenda Q. Aldrich, Chairman
P.O. Box 1462, Belchertown, Ma 01007
Family Center; Scholarship Committee; Council on Aging and Senior Center; Parks, Beach and Recreation Committee and Recreation Department; Housing Authority, Skate Park Committee Personnel Board.
The Chairman of the Board of Selectmen is an Ex-Officio Member of Library Board of Trustees and Liaison to Clapp Memorial Library.
Nicholas O'Connor, Vice Chairman
13 Maplecrest Drive, Belchertown, MA 01007
Conservation Commission; Community Preservation Committee; Agricultural Commission; Board of Health; Lakes Committee; Cultural Council; Fair Committee; Historic District By-Law Commission; Historical Committee; Trail Stewardship Council; Housing Needs and Assessment Committee; Pathfinder School Administration and School Committee; Belchertown School Department and School Committee,Finance Committee.
Ronald E. Aponte, Clerk
38 Azalea Way, Belchertown, MA 01007
Police Department; Police Candidates’ Review Committee; Civil Defense; Fire-Rescue Department; Animal Control; Animal Control Advisory Board; EDIC; Law Account.
William R. Barnett, Member
16 Waterford Drive, Belchertown, MA 01007
Board of Assessors; Finance Committee; Personnel Board; Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board; Board of Registrars and Elections; Inspection Services; Moderator; Rent Control Board; Tax Title Committee; Technology Advisory Committee; Town Accountant; Town Clerk; Treasurer-Collector; BCTV; IT Department; IDFA.
George D. “Archie” Archible,
143 Chauncey Walker Street, Belchertown, MA 01007
Department of Public Works (Highway, Snow Removal, Sidewalks, Street Lighting, Cemeteries, Transfer Station, Maintenance, Wastewater Treatment Plant); Non-School Buildings; Town Common; Town Clock; Pioneer Valley Transit Authority; Pioneer Valley Planning Commission; Professional Engineering; ADA Committee; Willard Stebbins Trust Fund for Lake Vale Cemetery; Veterans’ Service Advisory Board; Veterans’ Graves; Memorial Committee.
Tag Sale Permits -- No Longer Required
Three Year (Overlapping) Terms; Five Members; Meetings weekly on Mondays at 7:30 p.m. in Lawrence Memorial Hall (in the event of a holiday falling on a Monday, the Selectmen conduct their meeting on Tuesday evening of that week): They are the executive branch of the Town government and are responsible for policy decisions and carrying out most of the decisions of the Town made at Town Meeting. Their other powers and responsibilities are:
- Approval of all bills and payroll before they are paid by the Town Treasurer. Signing all notes, bond issues, abatements, and weekly town warrants which itemize all town department bills and payroll.
- Overseeing procedures to "override" or "exempt" the Proposition 2 1/2 tax limit and setting the classification rate for taxing different types of property in Belchertown.
- Issuance of business licenses. Granting and issuing licenses and permits which include liquor licenses; common victualler's licenses; tag sale permits; transfer station permits; Class I, II and III auto licenses; amusement licenses; and entertainment licenses. Refer to the end of this booklet for a complete listing of licenses and where to obtain them.
- Investigation into the conduct of any town department.
- Control of town property (except school property).
- Calling town meetings by the issuance of the Town Meeting Warrant.
- Awarding bids and contracts.
- Appointment of the Town Administrator and most department heads. Oversight of the Department of Public Works, oversight of construction projects.
- Approval of placement and construction of public utility facilities.
- Acting as License Commissioners, Police Commission, Fire Commission, and Highway Commissioners.
Meetings of the Board of Selectmen, as well as any town board, are open to the public.